Monday, November 20, 2006

Lesson 2- Idiom 1


I'm sure they will "give you a fair shake"



Debbie and Valerie are at an audition for the school musical.


Debbie: I can't believe I let you talk me into auditioning for the school musical. When I get this nervous, I can't carry a tune. Look at me! I'm breaking out in a cold sweat!

Valerie: Would you please stop going off the deep end and try to get a hold of yourself?

Debbie: You're right. I'm blowing this all out of proportion. It's just that every time I audition for anything, I feel like I've been put through a wringer when it's all over. I just want them to give me a fair shake. That's all I ask.

Valerie: Hey, there's Nancy. She's the best singer in the entire school. I didn't know she was going to audition for the same part as you.

Debbie: That does it! I'm leaving. I don't have a prayer.





Vocabulary




to talk someone into something :


to convince someone to do something.



to carry a tune:


said of someone who is able to sing on pitch.



to break out in a cold sweat:


to begin perspiring suddenly due to great fear or anxiety.


to go off the deep end:

1. to become upset and irrational

2. to become crazy


to get a hold of oneself:

to get control of one's emotions.


to blow something [all] out of proportion:

to exaggerate


to pu someone through a/the wringer:

to put someone through a strenuous and emotional experience.


to give someone a fair shake

to give someone the same fair treatment as you would give to others.


That does it! :

That's all I can tolerate!


not to have a prayer:

to have no possibility of success in something.


No comments: